Dear Parents and Caregivers,
Summer is Here! As we conclude the school year, I want to share with you some changes we are planning for 2016-2017. We spent the second part of this school term looking at ways that we can strengthen our alternative program. In February and April we held gatherings with our teachers and yourselves to get feedback on what was working, what you’d like to see improved, and what the ideal learning environment is like for your child. These discussions were taking place simultaneously as the school district is rethinking its Vision, Mission, and Core Values. Your comments from those discussions are on the document that follows this one.
Our changes in AIM Academy for the 2016-2017 school year are below:
- We are moving our start time up to 7:30 am.This will allow us to maximize learning time, and align schedules for students who take mainstream classes.
- We will have a rotating schedule for the first four periods each day. This will also be the case in the mainstream high school; it will allow for more mainstreamingopportunities for our students,and reduce the chances that students fail courses strictly because of attendance.
- We will offer AIM Electives, credit recovery, and literacy support during the last period of the day.This will allow for more choice, and provide students opportunities to get reading & writing support and recover credits during the school day.
- We will pilot computer based learning as part of our instructional day.Using platforms like Googledocs and Discovery Ed will allow for more individualized learning for our students.
- Save The Date: Monday, August 29, 2016. 4-7pm: AIM Academy Back-to-School BBQ
Come eat, share and socialize with our students, families and staff, and learn more about the changes in AIM Academy.
We are excited about these changes, and are looking forward to the next steps in this educational journey. At the beginning of this school year, I stated my goal was to learn about you, your children and the strengths and challenges of AIM Academy. You have taught me a great deal about your children, their needs, and your desires for their academic and social success. I hope these changes reflect your hopes and dreams for your children in this upcoming school year. Thank you for being true partners in this endeavor; I strongly believe that the path to excellence in education begins with our students’ first teachers, their parents and caregivers. I look forward to seeing you at our August Back to School BBQ.
Have a great summer,